Mushroom and Sausage Risotto
total time60 minutes
serves6 - 8
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. Carando® Toscano Ground Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz. cremini (baby portabello) mushrooms, chopped
- 4 oz. fresh shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup amarone red wine (or other dry red wine), divided usage
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 6 cups no salt added chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble and cook sausage until well browned. Add mushrooms, oregano, thyme and rosemary; sauté until mushrooms are tender. Stir in ½ cup wine; simmer until wine has evaporated. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in 4-quart stockpot. Sauté onion and garlic over medium-high heat until onions are very tender. Add rice; cook 2 minutes. Stir in remaining ½ cup wine; simmer until rice has absorbed all the wine.
3. Stir ½ cup chicken stock into rice; simmer until completely absorbed by rice, stirring occasionally. Continue adding ½ cup stock at a time, simmering until absorbed between each batch until rice is tender but still firm to the bite, about 25 minutes.
4. Stir sausage and mushrooms into rice; season with salt and pepper. Stir cheese into rice just before serving.