Abruzzese Meatball Subs
total time45 minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. Carando® Abruzzese Italian Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 hoagie sandwich rolls, split horizontally
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
1. Cook meatballs according to package instructions.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and bell pepper until onion is very tender. Add garlic, oregano, basil and black pepper; sauté 1 minute.
3. Add tomato sauce and paste; simmer 10 minutes.
4. Heat broiler with rack 4 to 6 inches from element. Open hoagie rolls and brush with melted butter. Place under broiler until toasted. Spoon 3 meatballs and sauce onto each roll; top with 2 slices cheese. Return sandwiches to broiler until cheese is melted and browned.